Tuesday, 18 December 2012

Wintery sweet treats!

I've put my baking head on recently. It's not something I've really done in a very long time (except for the odd 5 minute mug cake but more of that another time!!) and I am constantly surprising myself with just how easy it is, not to mention how satisfying. I have to admit the main reason I don't bake is becaused then I would have to eat all those lovely muffins, pies and puddings but ah well, it is Christmas!!

Homemade pastry is certainly something I have not made in a very long time and as my Mother-in-Law's pies are easily the best in the Northern hemisphere, I have indeed been daunted. But no more!! This recipe is from my trusty bible Prue Leith's Cookbook.

Mince pies - makes 12-24 depending on the size of your cutter!!

Jar of mincemeat (for me) and a jar of jam for the rest of the household
6oz plain flour
pinch of salt
3 1/2 oz of butter
1 egg yolk
2-3 tbspn very cold water

Sift the flour and salt into a large bowl. Add the butter and crumble with your fingers to a fine crumb. Mix 2 tbspns of very cold water to the egg yolk and add to the flour mixture. Start stirring with a rounded knife and then mix with one hand. Add a very small amount more of very cold water if the mixture is still dry but you will not need a great deal more. Do not overwork the pastry. Cover and place the dough in the fridge for half an hour.

Roll out, cut your bases out, place in a baking tray (pie tray), place a small amount of mincemeat or jam in and then place a smaller shape (circle of maybe a star, depending on your cutters) on top. Brush with milk. Place in a preheated oven - gas mark 6 - for 15 minutes until golden brown. Remove pies from the tray and place on a cooling rack until you can no longer bear it and then EAT! Mmmm...


We are also enjoying a homemade treacle sponge after Sunday lunch at the moment. So quick to whip and once again so satisfying, particularly on a gloomy winter's afternoon in front of the fire. Although you can steam treacle puddings, this baked recipe is a firm favourite - the sponge is lovely and soft with a crisp base and a wonderfully sticky topping of treacle. Best served with custard. Recipe to follow...

And talking of steamed puddings my Dad and I are in agreement; our family recipe for Spotted Dick is the one and only recipe for this particular dessert delight. No other recipe beats it. This is best served with cream (or custard if you must) and an extra dollop of treacle. Another recipe to follow!

No comments:

Post a Comment