It's been a while since I posted unfortunately but this meal is worth writing about! We'd had a lazy day getting things ready for the evening which always help our creativity when putting a food together I think!
Chris had recently presented me with a lovely little book of ice cream recipes and browsing through I found a recipe for brown bread ice cream. It took me back to the times my parents made it for special occassions... excellent, that was pudding sorted! To top it off it's a very simple recipe which needs to be prepared hours before, leaving you more time for friends. If you've never had it before bear with me. It's a lovely delicate, toffee-like ice cream. Well, Phil came back for seconds so that says it all really!
I wasn't going to do a starter but Chris came back from a foraging expedition (some call it a trip to the supermarket I think) and proudly presented me with smoked duck breast; tiny, delicate slices of cured meat. We had a fresh seeded loaf which I thinly sliced and lightly toasted, placed a couple of slices of the duck on top, added a garnish of salad leaves and finished with a honey and walnut dressing.
Main course was a slow roasted affair which added to the general air of tranquility! Slow roasted pork with star anise, cinnamon and coca cola. Done right, the meat is tender and juicy and the crackling, well, crackles! This was served on a bed of wilted spinach which complemented the meat beautifully, together with roasted vegetables; carrot, parsnip and apple which had been tossed in olive oil, lemon juice and chilli flakes.
Honey and walnut dressing
100ml olive oil
50ml white wine or cider vinegar
50 ml runny honey
chopped walnuts
seasoning
Mix well and leave to marinate for half hour for all the lovely flavours to infuse.
Brown bread ice cream, serves 6-8
3 thick slices of brown bread
4 oz brown sugar
300ml double cream
150ml single cream
2 eggs separated
1 tbsp whisky, rum or brandy (optional)
Crumb the bread in a processor, removing any difficult to crumb crusts. Spread on a baking tray and lightly toast, turning every few moments for an even toast. Leave to cool. Pour the cream into a bowl and whisk with the sugar until thick but not stiff. Separate the eggs and add the alcohol to the egg yolks, if using, mix and fold into the cream. Whisk the egg whites until stiff and add to the cream mixture together with the breadcumbs. Pour into a freezer container and freeze for at least 4 hours. Remove from the freezer 10 minutes before serving and enjoy!
I actually couldn't taste the rum when I made it, so maybe add another tablespoon but you have to be careful as alcohol will prevent it from freezing if too much is used. Other flavours to add could be honey or ginger. And I may try a version where some of the brown sugar is mixed in with the breadcumbs when they're toasting for an extra toffee explosion...
And a note to self: I must invest in some walnut oil!!

No comments:
Post a Comment