It's been a while since the family have managed to get to the allotment, largely because of the rain but also because we have been busy.
Any how those weeds are back! We wore suitably sheepish looks on our faces, together with determination.
We packed the kids up (having been swimming to wear them out and it worked!). On arrival, Chris cooked some sausages on the camping stove in the shed whilst I got stuck into the weeds (again) and the kids ran around screaming "We're hungry!!". The sausage cobs did their job beautifully and Chris & I got properly stuck into the weeds, largely looked on by Chairman Dave (don't ask).
What we don't have in time, we have bucket loads of, in enthusiasm and did a pretty good job of clearing a large part of the site once more of the weeds and dug up a healthy amount of onions. Unfortunately because of the weather some had perished, as too had a large amount of potatoes. Chris did manage to pull enough potatoes up for our dinner. And then our helpful neighbour strimmered them. Humph. Didn't do too much damage fortunately and they still did us well for dinner.
Having had a late night on Saturday celebrating a friend's birthday, then the swimming in the morning and a lot of hard work at the allotment, I was shattered by dinner time! It was a happy, peaceful shattered so I made the decision to have an early night. When I arrived at work the following day my chipper demeanour was commented on. I have to say that exercise such as this is the best tonic for everything!! I felt fantastic, rejuvenated and raring to go. Now that 'summer' is here and me and my daughter have got a bit of spare time, I hope to be able to put a good few more hours in at the allotment and reap the rewards!
No comments:
Post a Comment