Monday, 9 March 2009

Tapa, tapa, tapas!

The tapas was a success (phew!)... despite a bus destroying my car hours earlier & several long phone calls with various insurance companies, I managed to get the tapas together & enjoyed a great evening with our friends.


I'd rather not attempt it with accompanying destruction again but it did take my mind off it..! The saving grace was that I'd made the houmous, baba ganoush & chorizo al pimento earlier in the day, Chris had also marinated the prawns & the rest was almost just throwing it together. There's a photo to go with this post (when I remember!) but unfortunately I didn't remember to take one until everyone was lying on the floor, un-buttoning the top button on their waistbands (no, not that kind of party!).


I think next time we have a Spanish themed evening, I'll go for paella with a few tapas dishes rather than the table-covering affair of this weekend but it certainly hasn't put me off.


With regards where I get the ingredients from; We're lucky to have an excellent Asian shop nearby that sells fresh, in-season & most importantly, very well-priced fruit & veg, and a Lidl. Lidl does fantastic European products, which is where we got the chorizo from (and they also do a nice tomato & basil pizza). For anything else, I have a Sainsburys opposite work where I can pick bits & pieces up. We like to shop in the markets in town, when possible too & often get our meat from there. We have a local butcher about 20 mins walk away but unfortunatley we never seem to go in that direction (although the sausages were excellent & well-priced).

I tend to remember places where we've been pleased with products & if we're passing, we'll pop in to stock up: the butchers & health food shop in Belper & an excellent farm shop on the outskirts of Duffield. There's also a lovely deli/cafe in Belper called Fresh Basil - see links to the side. the cakes are amazing!

No comments:

Post a Comment